I just came across this video this morning, and it was so good that I ended up listening to a bunch of Futuristic’s music. Chasing Down a Dream is off Futuristic’s recent album of the same name (you can purchase the album on iTunes here). Devvon Terrell’s hook fits perfectly with the upbeat instrumental produced by AKT Aktion. In a way it’s too bad the song is so catchy, because that will prevent some listeners from realizing that Futuristic spit some awesome verses. Devvon and Futuristic directed and produced the video themselves, which I think is really cool. After hearing this and listening to more of Futuristic, I will definitely be on the lookout for more great music from him in the future (get it?).
Last night at midnight, Cam finally dropped his debut album, Lamp City. I have not heard the whole project yet, but what I have heard so far is exactly what I was hoping for: extremely real and relatable raps and Cam’s nice flow over solid production. Only three songs on the album have features, which come from Stizzy, Jeff Replay (twice), and Skizzy Mars. It’s really impressive that Cam could put out a 14-track effort with only three features, and I love that we get to hear more from Cam himself as a result. He also handled a lot of the production on his own, which again deserves major respect in my opinion. This is an incredible debut from a truly great artist, and I encourage everyone to give it a listen and download Lamp City on iTunes here.
- Lamp City Family (Music Video) – Cam Meekins (illogicalhiphop.wordpress.com)
- The Dojo (feat. OG Swaggerdick) [prod. Cam Meekins] – Cam Meekins (illogicalhiphop.wordpress.com)
- Judge (Music Video) – Cam Meekins (illogicalhiphop.wordpress.com)
- Same Thing (feat. Nick Gray) [prod. Cam Meekins] – Cam Meekins (illogicalhiphop.wordpress.com)
- Inhale (Music Video) – Cam Meekins (illogicalhiphop.wordpress.com)